Friday, June 30, 2006

Double standard

Theresa (my colleague) and I went for lunch @ far east. We missed the chicken rice so much! We made a trip downtown cos she apparently had to collect her MTM for her eyes. (She's totally obsessed about her eyes. Mine seriously look worse than hers! Right possum?) Forgot to mention MTM is freaking expensive. Goodness.

Anyways, went around and window shopped abit. Saw this shop which had loads of nice vintage dresses and pants. We got into the shop and there were 3 ang mos inside. Young twenty plus ang mos, getting excited over the dresses in the shop. Undressing brazenly just to try out the stuffs. The salesgirl was basically making herself available around them, introducing this and that, while they were trying at the 2 miserable fitting rooms.

While Theresa was trying on a dress, I saw one hanging on the wall. Queried the salesgirl if there were any sizes for that. She gave me a look and told me the price was 139 or 179 bucks. She was giving me that look which says, "if you are interested to buy it then I will show it to you". I felt offended since I hadn't asked for the price in the first place. But isn't it bad enough how she can judge if I was going to buy just by looking at my face or the attire I am wearing (I am not lok kok, probably just plain and not stylo enough)! I would be laughing my head off if the ang mos bought nothing in the end!


I saw a top in the end (and I checked the price this time) and asked if I could try it on. Immediately she motioned me to a mirror (at the shop entrance!) and said I would have to try it with my shirt on, cos they (the ang mos) are using the dressing rooms. At that moment, I felt abit wierd when she made that comment, because I will wait, and there were 2 dressing rooms. And one is free at the moment. It was when I realised she had volunteered the rooms just for their highnesses. (I have nothing against them, seriously.) And please imagine trying at the door, how pathetic does that look?!

Goodness, I cannot understand if that is the way you should be treating your fellow comrades. I've constantly been commenting how locals are being treated as second class citizens the moment they are compared next to someone from the west, and in our own country. It's like you are being discriminated in your own motherland! Totally absurd, but evident in our everyday lives.

I do understand the notion of having to be polite to tourist and guests so as to make them feel welcome, but please, the people who will be constantly buying from you will be the locals. So please be nice!

We walked for a few shops and realised we got almost the same sub-standard service from everywhere. Maybe it's just far east, but seriously even if I had the budget, I'm not going to buy a 200 bucks dress from you and getting a way below tolerable service attitude!

Got so pek cek after the whole thing. Wished I told her off right in front of everyone. Perhaps that would get the fume off my chest.

I hate being disciminated. Gross.

No comments: