Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I wished!

Today marks the second last lesson of my Creative Writing class with Bukit View Primary School. I'm really proud to say I had a great time in class today. To be honest, I would enter the class apprehensively every time I have lessons with them. Why? Because the form teacher would be sitting at the back - marking her books, frowning here and there, looking up at me, giving a confused look etc etc. Important point was she was never smiling. I can't imagine going to work with that upset look all the time. How's that going to inspire learning? This, I will never understand.

Nonetheless, could be because the set up was good, could be because the students were just surprised to see me (last week I told them there was no lesson this week, which the staff eventually pushed forward but didn't inform the students...), or could be because my prayers were answered, (HAHA), the class was pretty spontaneous today. We threw out loads of ideas to the writing, which was what I really loved. That meant I did a great job as a trainer aka facilitator. (note: NOT TEACHER!)

Midway through the class, I heard drums and all sorts of percussion going on, and couldn't help but ask what's the commotion about. Seemed like some students were having choreographed percussion for music class! (You know where they use whatever they can find to make music, like stomp?) I was caught by surprise. The din (they were not very choreographed unfortunately) was really bad for my class, but I can't help but smile at the activities the school engaged the students in.

I looked out of the window next, and instead of the usual mass PE of just moving limps for the sake of exercising, the students were clad in guards and helmets of what looked like they were learning inline skating on feet! Boy! Was I amazed. I wished my primary school was this fun! Really felt this school was really engaging the students in a more wholesome aspect. Even made me think perhaps this is the school that I should be sending my kids to!

The teacher in class may be strict and unsmiley, but I guess they are really putting people where they should be. Fun activities with fun teachers, and solemn learning with erm...unsmiling teachers. I checked with a friend who's a teacher in another school and found out from him that different schools have different activities depending on the staff and direction of the curriculum. I'm starting to love the principal already. The head really makes a difference! And we are talking about a difference in learning, a difference in the ATTITUDE towards learning and school. That's a good thing to teach!

I feel enlightened and hopeful! (probably thought the MOE education sucked based on so many schools I went to so far, but this one's totally different!) To think I woke up at 530am this morning! Totally worth the experience!

No comments: