Friday, July 22, 2011

Hope

Everyone needs a bit of hope once in a while, at least that's what I thought so.

I was thinking of how my savior machine comes up each time a hopeless situation presents itself to someone close, or someone loved. Perhaps that's why I kept to that machine, because somehow  it's something I feel I have to hold on dearly. This hope is like a calling, a representation to what my life could become, or becoming.

Looking back at the many things I ventured into in the past few years, and even more so after TCC - attempting to change a culture in my department back at Eurekahedge, switching to banking, jumping to fashion, diving into Leadership, slowing maneuvering my way to Coaching, and now managing Twenty2Seven. These changes represent a hope, a hope for people to believe that there could be something more in life, something real that can be achieved. In fact, my TCC journey for me was all about hope. I saw hope that night. Amazingly, this hope was awakened that night, and it was in me ever since I was a child.

I remembered wanting to be a doctor when I saw the hopeless look on my grandpa's face when my aunt was on her deathbed. I wanted to let him know I could help his loved ones, even if he can't. Grandpa had always been resilient, and that was what I admired him for. He gave me hope when he wiped away his tears and entered her room. He showed me hope even to the day he passed.

Tonight, I saw the look on the face of a great friend whom I thought would be successful one day. He said he didn't feel he could be successful. He dabbled with the choices he had on his plate, a dish of uncertainty and resignation, choosing between eating what he likes and what he thinks is good for him. The dish has been untouched for quite sometime, and doesn't look like it will be consumed anytime soon.

The look reminded me that I should keep moving, keep inspiring, keep forwarding towards my goal. That look reminded me how when one gets stuck in life, he will need hope to inspire, to let him know things can be changed, only if one believed in that hope. Sometimes I need that hope too.

The mentor might say this place is for dreamers, but a dreamer I may be, I am still a realist. Because when I dream, I make it real, and I dream other things again. The key is to translate those dreams to reality, and that makes inspiration, and cause others to dream. To me, that is hope. I wouldn't understand why else would God give people the ability to dream, and let us do nothing about it.

The only way to lead people is to show them a future: a leader is a dealer in hope. 
                -- Napoleon Bonaparte


And of course, a dealer who believes and makes his way to realize the hope. My mantra, it shall be.

No comments: