Thursday, August 30, 2007

INSEAD

It has been an agonizing 3 days. I was told of a course this week at INSEAD (Singapore Campus) only last Thursday and within minutes of knowing I was going for the course, I was hurrying typing away my application for an approval from INSEAD to attend the seminar on alternative investments - Mastering Alternative Investments (MAI)

I had read a lot of bios of fund managers which described their education in INSEAD. I never thought much about the education hub, except that it must be something great. So when Irene asked if I was interested to head to a seminar at INSEAD, I jumped at the chance. Apprehensively of course.

I was hasty in my application. I needed to send through a description of my objectives to attend the program plus my role in eurekahedge, plus a freaking long form in 15 mins! The course coordinator was leaving for the day and everything had to be processed by friday, which was 6 hours away... I was told they had to read through what I wrote before I could be admitted into the program. Unaware of the importance of the write-up, I typed everything in point form! Until I spoke to a colleague from sales (we are the 2 persons going for the program), when I realised she actually wrote in an essay for the admission, and it took her 2 days. I must say I'm lucky they processed it through and confirmed my application at the last minute. Funny though, seeing her gek reaction when she heard I wrote in point form. *evil face*

I was so worried about the program because I seriously thought I was not up to it. Unfortunately, I was so right! The next day everything was processed and I was given my access to their online program portal. After viewing the participants list, I knew I was in deep shit.

There were about 18 participants. All of them investment professionals holding high appointments - CFOs, CEOs, Fund Manager, Govt Authority. My role as an Assistant Head seemed relatively unimportant. And I was totally freaked out.

I was so quiet in all the 3 days of the program. I was taxed out. The readings were horrible, and I had to complete them within the weekend and I was rushing a proposal for a South African Counterpart due on Monday. Not to mention, this week was end month, and due to the restructuring of pay scheme, I had to increase my average funds this month.... and they were lagging like mad. I wasn't performing at all.

I was both happy and worried to be in the program. The exposure was great. I learnt things I never knew and wouldn't have expected to learn. They were difficult at my standard. Furthermore, I felt really guilty I couldn't assist much in the discussions. Mostly, I felt ashamed because I knew so little about my industry. But on the bright side, at least I added knowledge after the program, albiet some concepts are still hazy. Still, I think the marginal knowledge made all seemed better.

We had extra readings everyday after the program. Imagine my stress level when I had to read them every night. Even my mom was concerned. I had stopped studying 2 years back! And there I was, highlighting notes for the first 2 nights..

I was so glad it was over today. I think I broke into the brightest smile once the professor announced it was all over! My achievements - an INSEAD cert (I'm officially an alumni of the MAI program....) an ugly group photo, and a whole load of information I need to re-digest... Hah. Nonetheless, it was an experience not to be missed! I didn't enjoy it, but having an INSEAD stamped on my name..I think it was worth it? Hah.

*Thanks to all those who prayed for me!*

No comments: