Monday, August 18, 2014

Growing up pains

Last year on this day, our family flew to UK for WY's one year course at Cranfield. And less than a year later we are back with a second little one, and our not-so-little-anymore Eli boy, who is now an active toddler learning by leaps and bounds. I'm experiencing much joy watching him grow up. He has also made me a more grown-up grown up in the midst.

Eli's been trying to speak for a couple of months now. It's amazing how much we could communicate with him ever since we came back in May. Grandpa Tan has been actively teaching him mandarin and he's now rather fluent in both languages. Beginning his speech with a single word (eg ball, please, yes, no etc), he's now trying to speak in short sentences.

Was rather intrigued he actually said "no sound" when he tried to make funny noises by blowing on my tummy. To be honest, our gap has widened a little since we got back, with me busy with the new little one Luke, and Eli's introduction to Grandparents. "Gong gong" aka Grandpa Tan is now Eli's favourite. It's no longer mummy he wishes to put him to bed.

With this new speak, it also means Eli is communicating his needs and wants more. Besides the usual "I want" which kids learn so fast, he's also getting really well at communicating what he doesn't want. Eli has been sick for a couple of days and I've just brought him to the clinic today. He's been given a whooping 5 types of medication. I remembered he used to have no problem having medication when he was younger. Imagine my shock when he tasted each one, and shook his head with an assertive no to further doses. No matter how much I tried to negotiate with him, he just wouldn't relent. In the end, I had no choice but to force the medication on him. Coercion would usually result in crying for the younger Eli, but for the not-so-little-anymore Eli, it's usually followed with new speak - the harrowing "No" and "Come down" (which means let me down).

After the ordeal which left me helpless and close to tears, the next trauma came when I tried putting a stick-on cold patch on his forehead. Previously, he would just cry and stop after I placed my hand continuously on the cold patch to seal it in. This round, he was crying so loudly and yelling "Take down". I should have been happy my boy is increasing his grammar and vocabulary. Contrary to that, my heart broke when he said that. I took out the patch, but with his eyes lowered, and him turning his back to me on the bed, I knew I had scored a trauma. For both him and me. And just like that, I teared. My parenting pain has got to the next level.

My mother-in-law has offered to help take care of Eli for the next few days while I go prepare our place for shifting in. When I called her and commented it has not been easy with the medication process for Eli, her response was cool and straightforward - force it in. She said this with lightheartedness as well. I'm pretty sure I will get to this stage as time goes by. But before that, I shall leave the feeding to her instead. :p

No comments: