Friday, July 08, 2005

Alienation

Alienation is the result of capitalism. Where ppl work because of producing commodity, of what commodity can do for them. Working means getting paid. Working means not doing what you want to do but what you have to do. Hence, the resulting alienation phenomenon.

The person is separate from his/her work. The person is alien to what he/she produces. He/she performs because of what he/she is required and not because of what he/she wants. In time, alienation makes a person a slave to work, a slave for survival, a slave for life. Thus, the result of capitalism.

Today's dress down day. Finally a day to kick off working clothes and settle into something i feel comfortable in. No high heels, no pants and no more walking in a womanly manner.

Was on the way to work when i realised how different I behaved at work and in real life. Working life is so fake. I feel so alien for myself. It's like being another person whom you dunno for 9 hrs...then back to the real person you are for the next few hours until the alienating 9 hrs. It's a cycle over and over again.

Just had a 4 hour dinner break! Can you imagine that?! Haha...not a bad thing....but as long as I'm with my colleages, there's alienation. I had 7 fried chicken wings for dinner, loads of curly fries and potato skins. All fried stuff...and the dinner? at HOOTERS! Never been there before. Can't say what I don't want cos it was kinda decided. Ha ha. Went to Coffee Club for dessert. The alienation sure didn't make the dessert time any much funner. Usually I would be super happy and it will be sincerely happy but i just found myself faking the smile. Alienation.

Ppl ask if i enjoy the job...i dunno...it's ok i guess. Just really different. Something which I'll never expect to do but well...thus is life. I guess alienation will apply somehow.

< This is written in the office...haha...so slack!>

1 comment:

~juz pax~ said...

can understand how you feel.. but u'll soon realise that other than that 9 hours of working.. u dun have much time each day to be yourself.. for me.. there's no life before 9am.. after 6pm.. u jus wanna go home and sleep.. after a while.. the office u will become the real you... scary huh..